Summer Gathercole is driven to help make our world a better place. Despite graduating with a degree in accounting and attaining her CPA license, Summer heard a calling to join the nonprofit sector and began working full-time directly with homeless and low-income individuals to prepare them to (re)enter the workforce. She has founded and launched a nonprofit organization, served as the “state” Secretary of Labor for Washington, DC, and consulted to organizations of all sizes across the U.S.
In May 2007, Summer was listed in Washingtonian magazine as one of the “40 People Under 40 to Watch.” She is an alumna of the 21/64 training on how to engage the next generation of philanthropists. Her work has been published in PR News’ Corporate Social Responsibility Guidebook.
Summer is a skilled facilitator who excels at working with contentious groups of people and identifying the common ground that they can all work toward. Summer is most passionate about behavioral health and facilitated the Colorado Crisis Steering Committee in 2018. Two reports resulted from that work: (1) recommendations to improve the crisis system in Colorado, and (2) an independent report produced by Summer who, as an unbiased party, was able to identify more specific areas for enhancement.
Summer also served as the Project Manager for The Colorado Health Access Fund when it was first launched by The Denver Foundation. The purpose of the Fund is to increase access to behavioral health treatment and strive to improve health outcomes for populations in Colorado with high behavioral health needs.
Despite the focus on behavioral health, it is easy for Summer to get excited about almost any project that helps to make our communities a better place. She has volunteered as a job coach at the Women’s Bean Project, and is a graduate of Leadership Denver Class of 2015. Summer has been appointed to Governor Hickenlooper’s Commission on Community Service. Summer is also a Board Member for The Children’s Treehouse Foundation. During her free time, you can find her on the hiking trails, or traveling on some far-off adventure around the world. In October 2017, Summer traveled north to photograph polar bears in the wild.
Experience & Education:
- SHG Advisors, 2014 – Present
- Share Our Strength, Colorado State Director, 2012 – 2014
- Community Wealth Partners, Director, 2010 – 2012
- SHS Consulting Services, Principal, 2008 – 2010
- DC Department of Employment Services, Director, 2007 – 2008
- Workforce Organizations for Regional Collaboration, Executive Director, 2001 – 2006
- Goodwill of Greater Washington, VP of Training & Development, 2005-2006
- Community Family Life Services, Employment Specialist, 1999 – 2001
- Grant Thornton, Staff Accountant, 1997 – 1998
- B.S. in Business Administration, Accounting, University of Richmond
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), State of Illinois 2001