Summer Gathercole is driven to help make our world a better place. Despite graduating with a degree in accounting and attaining her CPA license, Summer heard a calling to join the nonprofit sector and began working full-time directly with homeless and low-income individuals to prepare them to (re)enter the workforce. She has founded and launched a nonprofit organization, served at the “state” Secretary of Labor for Washington, DC, and consulted to organizations of all sizes across the U.S.
In May 2007, Summer was listed in Washingtonian magazine as one of the “40 People Under 40 to Watch.” She is an alum of the 21/64 training on how to engage the next generation of philanthropists. Her work has been published in PR News’ Corporate Social Responsibility Guidebook.
Summer moved to Colorado in the spring of 2012. She has volunteered as a job coach at the Women’s Bean Project, is a graduate of Leadership Denver Class of 2015. Summer has been appointed to Governor Hickenlooper’s Council for Active & Healthy Lifestyles, as well as the Commission on Community Service. Summer is also a board member for The Children’s Treehouse Foundation. During her free time, you can find her on the hiking trails with her boxer, Sammy, or traveling on some far-off adventure around the world.
Experience & Education:
- SHG Advisors, 2014 – Present
- Share Our Strength, Colorado State Director, 2012 – 2014
- Community Wealth Partners, Director, 2010 – 2012
- SHS Consulting Services, Principal, 2008 – 2010
- DC Department of Employment Services, Director, 2007 – 2008
- Workforce Organizations for Regional Collaboration, Executive Director, 2001 – 2006
- Goodwill of Greater Washington, VP of Training & Development, 2005-2006
- Community Family Life Services, Employment Specialist, 1999 – 2001
- Grant Thornton, Staff Accountant, 1997 – 1998
- B.S. in Business Administration, Accounting, University of Richmond
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), State of Illinois 2001